categories: Uncategorized tags: anodia general optimization
During the implementation of a 60 FPS support we noticed that a few levels were not working as fast as they should. After digging a little deeper we found out that our bottleneck was the rendering.
In one of those cases, the texture we used looked like that:
What’s wrong with it? It’s 128×128 (16384 pixels), but it’s quite easy to notice that lots of pixels on the sides of it are transparent. After a few moments of trimming it down we got 108×108 texture that looks like this:
108×108=11664, so the new texture contains almost 29% less pixels It’s a quite good optimization! When a few dozens of sprites are rendered on the screen this might make a significant difference for your fillrate.
It’s important to remember that transparency comes at a cost, there is no way to discard transparent pixels prior to the texture fetch. Trimming down textures also helps to reduce size of the rendered sprites, which might lead to nice performance increase in GPUs that use tiled rendering (like the PowerVR GPUs used in Apple mobile devices).